7/18/2014 10:52 P.M. ET
O's lock up 33rd-round pick before deadline
By Aaron Leibowitz / MLB.com
OAKLAND -- The Orioles signed all but seven of their 38 selections in the 2014 First-Year Player Draft, announcing on Friday that they had locked up one final player, 33rd-round right-hander Brandon Koch, in advance of the 5 p.m. ET deadline.
They signed their top 16 picks and 21 of their top 22, as well as 20 pitchers in total. That includes their first five selections, all pitchers.
Scouting director Gary Rajsich estimated last month that the Orioles would sign 30 to 32 of their draftees. They signed 31.
The O's did not have a pick in the first two rounds, but they did sign third-rounder Brian Gonzalez, a lefty out of Archbishop McCarthy High School in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., as well as fourth-rounder Patrick Connaughton, a right-hander who played baseball and basketball at Notre Dame.
All seven draftees who did not sign were pitchers.
Machado puts issues with A's in the past
OAKLAND -- The boo birds will likely be out in force for Manny Machado this weekend, as the Orioles' third baseman appears in Oakland for the first time since a pair of scuffles with the A's in early June. But Machado believes the issue is water under the bridge.
"On our side, it is," he said before Friday's series opener at the Coliseum. "I served my suspension, I did what I needed to do, I said my apologies and now it's time to play baseball. Baseball is a game where you forget about the past."
Machado, who served a five-game suspension from June 30 to July 4, was suspended four games for flinging his bat toward third base on June 8 and one game for taking exception to a hard tag by A's third baseman Josh Donaldson two days earlier.
The first incident caused both benches to clear.
"The only reason why it becomes a topic is because we get asked about it," said O's manager Buck Showalter. "I understand. People have to ask, because not a whole lot else to talk about right now."
Over his last 25 games, Machado is batting .351 with five home runs. He will look to carry that momentum into the Orioles' first series after the All-Star break.
"We'll see how it goes," he said. "I'm looking forward to it, and I'm looking forward to starting the second half, most importantly."
Ubaldo to throw another bullpen session
OAKLAND -- Ubaldo Jimenez will throw another bullpen session on Sunday, and if all goes well, he could make a rehab start Wednesday and potentially rejoin the Orioles when they return home from their 10-game West Coast trip on July 29.
Jimenez went on the disabled list on July 13, retroactive to July 8, with a sprained right ankle. He threw on Thursday, and manager Buck Showalter said the next hurdle for Jimenez is to pitch out of the stretch.
"Yesterday was better. The only thing he lacks is throwing from the stretch," Showalter said on Friday. "I'm hoping that goes real well Sunday and he can go out and pitch."
The ankle sprain, which occurred in a parking lot outside Jimenez's apartment, was another road block in the righty's frustrating year. Jimenez is 3-8 with a 4.52 ERA after the O's signed him to a four-year, $50 million contract -- the largest for a free-agent starting pitcher in club history -- this offseason.
Kevin Gausman, who was called up from Triple-A Norfolk to take Jimenez's spot, has been optioned or recalled nine times in 2014.
• Pitching coach Dave Wallace will be away from the team on Aug. 1 and 2 to attend his daughter's wedding, Showalter said. Scott McGregor, the pitching coach for the Class A (short-season) Aberdeen IronBirds, is expected to fill in.
Aaron Leibowitz is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.