5/21/2014 11:51 P.M. ET
Tripp Norton to represent O's at Draft
By Brittany Ghiroli / MLB.com
PITTSBURGH -- Director of baseball administration Tripp Norton will represent the Orioles again at the 2014 First-Year Player Draft, which starts on June 5.
Norton, who negotiates Major League player contracts and oversees baseball-operations budgeting, also was one of the team's reps last year along with Al Bumbry. Norton previously served 12 years as the club's assistant director of player development.
The 2014 Draft will take place on June 5-7, beginning with the Draft preview show on MLB.com and MLB Network on Thursday, June 5, at 6 p.m. ET. Live Draft coverage from MLB Network's Studio 42 begins at 7 p.m., with the top 74 picks being streamed on MLB.com and broadcast on MLB Network. MLB.com's exclusive coverage of the second and third days will begin with a live Draft show at 12:30 p.m. ET on June 6.
MLB.com's coverage includes Draft Central, the Top 100 Draft Prospects list and Draft Tracker, a live interactive application that includes a searchable database of Draft-eligible players. Every selection will be tweeted live from @MLBDraftTracker, and you can also keep up to date by following @MLBDraft. And get into the Draft conversation by tagging your tweets with #mlbdraft.
The Orioles, who forfeited their first- and second-round picks with free-agent signings along with a competitive-balance pick (in the trade for Bud Norris), will make their first selection at No. 90.
O's likely to make roster move to replenish bullpen
PITTSBURGH -- The Orioles look poised to make a roster move following Chris Tillman's three-out start in Wednesday's 9-8 loss to the Pirates to help replenish a bullpen that was already a man down.
"It's hard to tell until we get our arms around it tonight. I'm not going to give you right now who it is," manager Buck Showalter said of the reliever that was unavailable and could potentially be a disabled list situation. "You can probably figure it out because they didn't pitch. Some things crop up during the day. That's why so many times, things may look one way going into the day, and then by the time BP and the game's over, you've got a different situation, and you've got to adjust."
If it's not a DL move, the Orioles will have to make room on the roster. Right-hander Brad Brach has Minor League options and he threw four scoreless innings after Tillman, so he won't be available to pitch for a few days. Triple-A Norfolk's T.J. McFarland is a candidate to come up and add length, as he last pitched on Saturday.
"I'd like to keep [Brach] if I can," Showalter said. "I think he's thrown 48 [pitches] this year, and today, he was [one] less than that. I think it's the innings more than the pitch count. I know if I asked him what he'd say."
Schoop orders same glove as Machado
PITTSBURGH -- Orioles infielder Jonathan Schoop has been using one of Manny Machado's gloves the past couple of weeks, and the second baseman has liked the results enough to order one of his own.
Schoop, who has been urged for a while by infield coach Bobby Dickerson to use a bigger glove, finally gave in earlier this month.
"It was given to me and I really liked it," Schoop said. "So I ordered the same one, the same [model] and everything, but with my name on it. But it didn't get in yet. They said four weeks from now."
In the meantime, Schoop will continue to use the one with "Machado" etched on the side, and he's been pleased with his defense since the switch. The 22-year-old entered Wednesday's game hitting .222 with three homers and 14 RBIs.
Wieters remains optimistic he'll avoid surgery
PITTSBURGH -- Orioles catcher Matt Wieters is still dealing with some lingering stiffness in his right elbow, although he said Wednesday afternoon that he remains optimistic he will avoid surgery.
"There's no reason not to think that," said Wieters, who got a platelet-rich plasma injection to spur the healing last week. "We're going to continue to improve, and once we get to the point of throwing, we'll know more. But we're not going to set a date that we have to throw by."
Wieters said he's definitely improved since going on the disabled list, although he won't try to throw until he's comfortable that there's nothing else going on with the elbow. He's been receiving regular treatments from the team's training staff and been catching to keep his legs in shape.
"So there's no set black-and-white date, but I think we know where the date falls that would preclude him from starting the season next year, if he had the procedure," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter, who has previously said that date is July 1. "We talked about that. But it could come earlier if he doesn't feel like anything is resolving. Sure that will be a conversation.
"We keep hoping each day he will come in and say, 'Yeah, I want to test it. See how it feels.' We may not get there. [I'm] trying to stay positive."
Wieters, who will not be ready to come off the disabled list when eligible on May 26, has continued to travel with the team and been what Showalter called an extra coach in the dugout. On the field, the O's have employed a platoon of Steve Clevenger and Caleb Joseph, and will likely continue to go with matchups in Wieters' absence.
Brittany Ghiroli is a reporter for MLB.com. Read her blog, Britt's Bird Watch, and follow her on Facebook and Twitter @britt_ghiroli. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.