5/10/2013 12:33 A.M. ET
O's send Gonzalez to DL, call up right-hander Burnett
By Benjamin Standig / Special to MLB.com
BALTIMORE -- The Orioles placed Miguel Gonzalez on the 15-day disabled list with a right thumb blister and recalled fellow right-hander Alex Burnett from Triple-A Norfolk, the team announced Thursday.
Gonzalez's stint on the DL is retroactive to Saturday. The 28-year-old is 2-2 with a 4.58 ERA in six starts this season, allowing 18 earned runs in 35 1/3 innings. Gonzalez pitched six innings Friday against the Angels, but he left the start because of the blister.
"I'm not too happy about it," Gonzalez said. "But, it's better to get a step back than two or three. It's important for me to get healthy and be 100 percent for the next start."
Gonzalez threw a side session of fastballs Thursday afternoon while wearing a bandage on his thumb, which is not permitted during games. Orioles manager Buck Showalter said Gonzalez would ideally pitch for either Double-A Bowie or Triple-A Norfolk on Tuesday or Wednesday before returning to Baltimore on May 19 or 20.
"You have to be able to throw a breaking ball; you have to be able to throw a changeup," Showalter said. "You have to be able throw all these pitches, and he can't do it."
Burnett, 25, joined the Orioles earlier this season, from April 22-24, but did not make an appearance. In six relief appearances with the Tides, he is 1-0 with a 0.96 ERA, adding eight strikeouts and no walks. Claimed by the Orioles off waivers from Toronto on April 12, Burnett went 4-4 with a 3.52 ERA in 67 appearances for Minnesota in 2012.
Because the Orioles need a starter for Saturday's game at Minnesota, Burnett's latest stint could once again be a short one.
Right-hander Steve Johnson started the season on the DL with a back injury and is now at Triple-A Norfolk. After Thursday's game, Showalter said he expected to recall Johnson from Norfolk to make Saturday's start against the Twins.
Orioles acquire Minor Leaguer Wood from Royals
BALTIMORE -- The Orioles acquired Minor League third baseman Brandon Wood from the Kansas City Royals for cash considerations.
Once an elite prospect in the Angels organization, the 28-year-old Wood has not played on the Major League level since 2011, when he received 236 at-bats with the Pittsburgh Pirates following six games with the Angels.
Playing this season for the Royals' Triple-A Omaha team, Wood was batting .264 with two home runs and seven RBIs.
In 272 Major League games with the Angles and Pirates, he batted .186 with 18 home runs. Though primarily a third baseman, Wood has middle infield experience.
• Second baseman Brian Roberts had successful surgery on his right hamstring Thursday, Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. The procedure was performed by Dr. Daniel Cooper in Dallas, and Roberts will return to Sarasota, Fla. for rehab. The oft-injured 35-year-old, who played in only three games this season, will miss approximately six weeks.
• Tied atop the AL East standings, the Orioles enter Thursday's series finale having won a season-high four straight games, the last two at Orioles Park at Camden Yards. Since July 29, the Orioles are 62-33 (.652 winning percentage) and 32-13 at home, which is the best record in baseball during that stretch.
Benjamin Standig is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.