04/07/2013 5:50 PM ET
Gonzalez to be skipped in Boston
By Brittany Ghiroli / MLB.com
BALTIMORE -- Right-hander Miguel Gonzalez will pitch in New York with the Orioles opting to give the usual No. 3 starter some extra rest and not have him throw his scheduled turn against Boston.
"We are not matching people up," manager Buck Showalter said. "We are going to have 20-something games in a row, we got an opportunity here, it's not going to come very often. We are going to hopefully be pitching him every fifth day for a long, long [time]. He's got a chance if he stays healthy to pitch over 200 innings. So we want to have him in good shape for the long haul.
There's a lot of reasons. [Pitching coach Rick Adair has] got a real sound base as to what he's trying to do in the big picture."
Gonzalez earned the win on Thursday against the Rays after allowing two runs in 6 1/3 innings.
The Orioles are also hoping for bounce back outings from Jake Arrieta and Chris Tillman, who will throw Wednesday and Thursday against the Red Sox. Wei-Yin Chen will start Monday's series opener.
Reliever Luis Ayala will probably not travel with the team to Boston as the reliever left Sunday's game around the seventh inning to go to a local hospital.
"[He] just didn't feel well at all," Showalter said of Ayala. "Had some things you normally don't have and they decided after looking at him, better go check it out. I've got a pretty good idea of what we're dealing with. See how things go."
Betemit feeling good in rehab process
BALTIMORE -- Wilson Betemit was in the Orioles' clubhouse on Sunday morning to get checked out by the team's physicians, and he was in good spirits following the arthroscopic procedure on his right knee last week, which revealed nothing new injury-wise.
"[The surgeon] said everything's good inside," said Betemit, who was diagnosed with a Grade 2/3 PCL sprain. "When I got hurt, I thought it was worse than what I've got right now. I thought I was going to have [major] surgery, but they told me it was good news. I just had the little surgery a couple days ago. And I feel much better."
Betemit will be re-evaluated in about a month -- when he reaches the six-week mark with the injury -- and will head back to the team's spring facility on Wednesday. His initial timetable for return is 6-8 weeks.
"I'm feeling real good, much better," he said. "The inflammation has gone down, and now I'll go back to Florida and do my exercises and see what happens."
Betemit will be joined by second baseman Brian Roberts (hamstring strain), who will head to Sarasota at some point on Sunday, leaving the team as it prepares to take off for a two-city road trip to Boston and New York.
"You never want to see a guy get injured, but the news we got back was about as good as you can expect, with the potential that was there for something wrong," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said of both Betemit and Roberts' injuries. "Robby and I had a talk in the dugout, he's already got a date targeted. Wilson, you can tell by his face that he's [feeling good]."
Reimold leaves Sunday's game with injury
BALTIMORE -- Orioles outfielder Nolan Reimold left Sunday's game with tightness in his right hamstring and will be re-evaluated on Monday, with the team -- already playing with a short bench -- making contingency plans in the event he stays sidelined.
"I just had a cramp, spasm, whatever you want to call it," Reimold said. "It kept getting tighter and tighter. I felt it first trying to beat out that double play [in the sixth], and [first base coach Wayne] Kirby could tell it was bothering me. It was smart. It was a smart idea to come in and evaluate it."
Reimold was replaced by Nate McLouth in left field in the top of the seventh inning and said he didn't think it would be an issue in terms of him playing on Monday.
"I came in, did some ice and stim and calmed it down," he said. "It's a little tight still, but it's not cramping or anything anymore. It should be all right."
With the O's already carrying an extra pitcher, the team is expected to have a move in place, and manager Buck Showalter said it could happen before the team takes off for Boston on Sunday night.
"We are going to talk about it when I get back there to talk to [executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette]," Showalter said. "I'm sure they've got it wired there, the possibilities. We have roster or non-roster guys. We have room there. Wilson [Betemit] we can 60 [day on the disabled list] anytime."
Brittany Ghiroli is a reporter for MLB.com. Read her blog, Britt's Bird Watch, and follow her on Twitter @britt_ghiroli. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.