11/08/2012 12:16 PM ET
Orioles join Hurricane Sandy relief efforts, invite fans to make donations
The Orioles have partnered with Von Paris Moving and Storage to provide assistance to the victims of Hurricane Sandy and are inviting fans to make contributions. Von Paris Moving and Storage will drive two to three large moving trucks with donations directly to the Union Beach, Belmar, Tom’s River, Hazlet and Seabright, New Jersey communities this weekend.
Fans may bring donations to the Orioles offices in the Warehouse at Oriole Park today until 5:00 p.m. and tomorrow between 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Fans may park temporarily in the North Warehouse Lot near the Orioles Team Store and should use the Baltimore Orioles Offices entrance to the Warehouse, dropping the items off at the second floor reception desk.
Items most needed at this time include:
- water - 1 liter or smaller bottles for easier transport
- food - canned, pop-top preferred
- rice [5 and 10 pound bags]
- disposable charcoal grills and charcoal
- matches [in zip lock bags]
- powdered milk, baby formula and bottles
- pet supplies and food
- first aid kits and items for first aid kits
- battery operated radios
- flashlights and batteries
- paper cups, napkins, and plastic utensils
- non-electric can openers and utility knives
- duct tape
- plastic zip lock bags
- personal care items including soap, toilet paper, feminine products and wipes
- household items like garbage bags, disinfectant and bleach
- plastic tarps
- portable generators
- like new laundered clothes, especially baby and children
- blankets and sleeping bags
- pack and plays
- like new furniture
In addition to these efforts, MLB and MLBPA are jointly contributing $1 million to organizations helping communities devastated by Hurricane Sandy. Additional information is available at www.oriolesreach.com and www.mlb.com/sandyrelief.
This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.