© 2008 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

07/24/08 1:27 PM ET

Orioles drop suspended game with Jays

BALTIMORE -- Early Thursday morning in the Orioles' clubhouse, manager Dave Trembley discussed all of the unusual pitching scenarios he could think of to begin the resumption of Wednesday night's suspended game against the Blue Jays.

The suggestions ranged from having Wednesday's starter, Jeremy Guthrie, come back out and throw his warmup pitches to sending Guthrie out for an intentional walk before switching the right-hander with left-handed-throwing right fielder Nick Markakis and letting Markakis take his best shot on the mound. Neither of those options came to fruition as the Orioles and Blue Jays finished out the final 22 outs of Wednesday's game early Thursday afternoon, with Toronto coming out on top, 5-1.

With the rain coming down in sheets just before 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday night, the teams were forced off the field and into a rain delay that lasted one hour and 44 minutes before the game was suspended until 12:06 p.m. on Thursday.

Just before the game was suspended, the Blue Jays had plated the go-ahead run on a Lyle Overbay single, giving them a 2-1 lead that would survive Thursday's completion. Toronto padded that lead with a three-run eighth. After loading the bases against reliever Randor Bierd, Adam Lind grounded to first. But Kevin Millar sailed a throw to home, allowing Rod Barajas and Matt Stairs to score on the error. One batter later, Scott Rolen scored on a sacrifice fly by John MacDonald.

After watching solid performances from Guthrie and Jays starter A.J. Burnett on Wednesday, the Orioles opted to go to reliever Lance Cormier to get the final out of the sixth and pitch through the seventh inning. With Overbay still on third base, Cormier got Rolen to ground out, ending a 15-hour at-bat and the Blue Jays' scoring threat.

Amanda Comak is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.