TOR@BOS: Drew doubles, exits with hamstring injury

ANAHEIM -- Though his right hamstring strain continues to improve, Red Sox shortstop Stephen Drew was placed on the disabled list prior to Friday night's game against the Angels.

The move is retroactive to June 29, meaning Drew is eligible to return on July 14, the day before the All-Star break.

"It's getting better every day," said Drew. "It's just it's not quite there. I've been doing stuff on the field, feeling better, it's just -- it's almost been a week of doing drills, and I was doing everything I could to try to come back before trying to go on the DL. It just makes more sense just to let it heal up. That way when I'm out there, it doesn't come back."

By putting Drew on the DL, the Red Sox were able to go back to a 12-man pitching staff, recalling right-hander Jose De La Torre from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Jose Iglesias will continue to play shortstop while Drew is out, with Brandon Snyder getting most of the reps at third base. Jonathan Diaz is still on the roster as an extra infielder.

The Red Sox decided not to bring back third baseman Will Middlebrooks, who has performed well at Pawtucket since his demotion.

"Yeah, and the fact is, we need that secondary shortstop, so that's where Diaz's ability to play shortstop is there," said Red Sox manager John Farrell. "So it was more about positional fit."

What kept Drew from being able to come back this weekend, as the team originally hoped?

"The most important thing in this is it's that last 10 percent of his explosiveness is where he doesn't have that confidence and to ask a player to play under control defensively where his instincts were going to naturally kick in, that's kind of hard to do right now," Farrell said.

Diaz likely to swap spots with Pawtucket's Holt

TOR@BOS: Diaz makes a nice play for game's first out

ANAHEIM -- Just six days after veteran Minor Leaguer Jonathan Diaz was promoted to the Major Leagues for the first time, he was apparently sent back to Triple-A Pawtucket by the Red Sox following Friday night's 6-2 win over the Angels.

Though the club didn't announce the move Friday night, Diaz was seen saying goodbye to several players after the game.

Infielder Brock Holt, who was acquired by the Red Sox back in December along with Joel Hanrahan in a trade with the Pirates, is the likely candidate to replace Diaz on the roster for Saturday's game against the Angels.

With shortstop Stephen Drew on the disabled list until at least the day before the All-Star break, Holt should get a chance to show the Sox what he can do over the next few days.

In 60 games with Pawtucket, Holt is hitting .263 with one homer and 18 RBIs.

Holt can play second, short and third. This would be his first Major League stint with the Red Sox.

Ortiz gets a rest; Napoli fills in at DH

SD@BOS: Ortiz notches 500th double of his career

ANAHEIM -- After playing in 29 straight games, Red Sox slugger David Ortiz was given his second game off in six days on Friday night against the Angels.

With lefty C.J. Wilson pitching for the Angels, Mike Napoli served as Boston's designated hitter. Daniel Nava started at first and Jonny Gomes got the nod in left field.

Ortiz has not fared well against Wilson in his career, going 2-for-16 with no homers.

"Yeah, David is fine," said manager John Farrell. "We've got a string of six right-handers, if it's true that [Jerome] Williams is starting tomorrow, so that will run six straight right-handers against us. Long travel here last night so it was more of a down day that we had previously discussed and then planned for."

The Angels announced Williams as Saturday's probable starter, despite the fact that he started on Wednesday.

Buchholz rehab start could be July 14

LAA@BOS: Buchholz holds Angels to two for ninth win

ANAHEIM -- Red Sox right-handed pitcher Clay Buchholz had a light throwing day on Friday, but will continue the process of ramping back up over the weekend.

If all goes well, Buchholz could throw a couple of bullpen sessions when the Sox are in Seattle for a four-game series Monday-Thursday.

Perhaps the ideal scenario, according to manager John Farrell, is for Buchholz to pitch in a Minor League rehab game on the Sunday before the All-Star break, which is July 14.

The right-hander would probably need two starts in the Minors before returning to the Red Sox. The earliest Buchholz slots back into Boston' s rotation would probably be around July 24, when Boston is in the middle of a four-game series against the Rays.

"There's some reconditioning that has to go on here and you can't shortcut that," said Farrell. "What we don't want to do is put Clay or us in a position to be limited by a certain pitch count that has the potential of overtaxing the bullpen."

Farrell touts Uehara, Nava for All-Star berths

SD@BOS: Uehara sits down Hundley for fifth save

ANAHEIM -- It is highly likely that Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz and second baseman Dustin Pedroia will be named to the American League All-Star team on Saturday.

There are a couple of other players Red Sox manager John Farrell would like to see rewarded with a trip to New York.

"Koji [Uehara] and I think Daniel Nava deserve consideration," Farrell said. "Those are the two guys that quickly come to mind."

Farrell did make some recommendations to AL manager Jim Leyland.

"It's more the opportunity to state your case. What are the reasons why? You take a couple minutes of his time and say your piece," said Farrell.

Nava, a regular outfielder, started at first base on Friday with a .284 batting average and 49 RBIs to his credit.

Uehara is 2-0 with a 2.00 ERA and five saves in 38 games this season.