DETROIT -- Shortstop Pedro Florimon, who left Thursday's game with a sprained right index finger, was held out of the lineup for precautionary reasons against the Tigers on Friday.
Florimon, who injured his finger while sliding into third base in the second inning of the Twins' 7-6 loss, came in feeling better on Friday, but Eduardo Escobar made the start at shortstop in his place.
"He had a little bit of swelling but he was throwing last night," Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony said. "He basically just jammed it, which caused a little bit of swelling. We did X-rays and they were negative. So he should be fine."
Florimon told Twins manager Ron Gardenhire he was healthy enough to play, but Gardenhire wanted to play it safe with Florimon, who was able to take batting practice without any issues before the game.
"He'll be available off the bench," Gardenhire said said. "I'm just happy he came in here saying he feels good and is ready to go."
Twins recall right-hander Deduno for start vs. Tigers
DETROIT -- The Twins officially recalled right-hander Samuel Deduno from Triple-A Rochester before his start against the Tigers on Friday night.
The Twins already had a 25-man roster spot open after optioning right-hander Vance Worley following his outing against the Braves on Wednesday. To make room for Deduno on the 40-man roster, the Twins transferred reliever Tim Wood to the 60-day disabled list.
Deduno, who was slated to start for Rochester on Tuesday, threw a bullpen session instead to get ready for his first start of the year with the Twins.
Deduno, 29, made 15 starts for the Twins last year, posting a 4.44 ERA with 57 strikeouts and 53 walks in 79 innings. He faced the Tigers twice, giving up three runs over seven innings at Target Field on Aug. 13, and surrendering seven runs on seven hits over 2 1/3 innings at Comerica Park on Sept. 22.
Deduno was expected to make the club's rotation to start the season after starring for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic, but he suffered a groin strain in the championship game and began the season injured. He returned to action on May 5 and posted a 2.70 ERA in three starts with Rochester, with 17 strikeouts and 10 walks over 16 2/3 innings.
"He's faced them before," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "He's come back from a long road after getting hurt in the World [Baseball Classic]. He's excited. So he just has to go out there and show off his stuff. He's got the pitches."
Plouffe passes concussion test Thursday
DETROIT -- Third baseman Trevor Plouffe, who was placed on the 7-day disabled list with concussion-like symptoms on Wednesday, passed his ImPACT concussion test on Thursday.
Plouffe sustained the injury when he was kneed in the back of his head by Dan Uggla while sliding into second base in Tuesday night's game in Atlanta. He showed signs of a concussion with sensitivity to light and wooziness after the blow to the head, and he was placed on the 7-day DL for precautionary reasons the next day.
But he was able to pass his ImPACT test on Thursday and received clearance to participate in baseball activities before Friday's game. He was able to run around and took ground balls without any issues.
"I feel good," Plouffe said. "I did more cardio today than I'll probably do for the rest of the year. Now it's just working my back and making sure I don't have any setbacks."
It was a major relief for the Twins, as Justin Morneau was injured on a similar play in July 2010, and missed the rest of the season with a concussion that continued to plague him in '11. Former Twins center fielder Denard Span also suffered a concussion in a home-plate collision during the '11 season and was out for two months.
"It's huge," Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony said. "He took a pretty good hit to the head. But yesterday, he was on the bench with all the noise and lights and didn't have any problems, which was a good sign. And for him to get through everything today is a good sign, especially after what we've gone through with a couple of our players the last few years."
Plouffe, who is eligible to return on Wednesday once the Twins return home from their nine-game road trip, still needs to be cleared by Major League Baseball before he returns, according to Antony.
Walters to get called up and start Saturday
DETROIT -- Right-hander P.J. Walters will be recalled from Triple-A Rochester before Saturday's game to make his first start of the season against the Tigers.
The Twins will wait until Saturday to make the move official, but they did clear room for him on the 25-man roster by optioning outfielder Oswaldo Arcia to Rochester after Friday's 6-0 loss. But they still need to make a 40-man roster move to make room for Walters on Saturday.
Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said it was a difficult decision to send down Arcia, who is ranked as the Twins' No. 5 prospect and No. 93 overall, according to MLB.com. Arcia hit .255 with four homers and 14 RBIs in 30 games with the Twins but ended in a 3-for-32 slide before his demotion.
"It was really hard, but we had very little options with our infield situation," Gardenhire said. "But I like his fire, the way he goes about it and I like him around the clubhouse. But unfortunately he's in a little bit of stretch here where he's chasing. So this can help him."
Kevin Correia, who was slated to start on Saturday, will now be pushed back to Monday against the Brewers with Mike Pelfrey remaining on normal rest to start on Sunday against the Tigers.
"We haven't made any official announcements, but we have a TBA tomorrow, so it's safe to say he'll be our starter," Twins assistant general manager Rob Antony said before Friday's game. "But we'll make a corresponding move and announce that tomorrow before the game."
Walters, 28, fared well in nine starts with Rochester, posting a 3.31 ERA with 46 strikeouts and 16 walks in 54 1/3 innings. Walters, who had a 5.69 ERA in 12 starts with the Twins last year, also turned in six straight quality starts to earn the promotion.
He was picked over Twins prospect Kyle Gibson, who also pitched well in nine starts with Rochester with a 3.25 ERA and 46 strikeouts and 14 walks in 52 2/3 innings. But Gibson, who has thrown shutouts in two of his last three outings, has yet to record back-to-back quality starts this season.
Antony said he understands the frustration from fans about the Twins keeping Gibson in the Minors, but he said the club needs to see more consistency from him before they declare him ready to make his big league debut. Gibson is ranked as the Twin's No. 4 prospect and No. 49 overall.
"It's understandable because we want to see him, too," Antony said. "We're talking about a guy we're hoping will be part of our rotation for years to come. So we want to do it right and bring him up when the time is right when he's going good, so that it gives him the best chance to succeed."