ANAHEIM -- Orioles pitcher Tsuyoshi Wada (left elbow discomfort) was dealing with some neck stiffness before his rehab start on Thursday -- an issue the team was not aware of until after the game.

The 31-year-old Wada struggled mightily in Thursday's start for Triple-A Norfolk, lasting 2 2/3 innings against Gwinnett (Ga.) and giving up six runs on six hits and four walks. Orioles manager Buck Showalter spoke with executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette on Friday and said what the team does with Wada will be determined based on how he feels in the next day or two.

Showalter said Wada is "definitely" going to get more rehab starts, even though he is eligible to be activated at any time. "Either that or they stop him to get this taken care of. Let's see how serious it is. Dan just mentioned it to me [on Friday] that he had an issue with that, that he told them about after the game."

Once a pitcher starts a rehab assignment -- which Wada did with his first outing Thursday -- they have a 30-day period in which to activate him unless there's a setback or another injury. In Wada's case, if his neck injury lingers and he's unable to make his next scheduled outing, the Orioles could send him back to extended spring training in Sarasota, Fla., and rehab that injury before going back out on a new rehab assignment.

"He can start whenever, but the clock's ticking with the 30," Showalter said. "I'm sure if there's any doubt if he needs more time [he'd be reset]; it's something that should resolve [itself], from what I understand."

With assist from Hardy, Reimold back in lineup

ANAHEIM -- Orioles left fielder Nolan Reimold was back in Friday's starting lineup after dealing with neck spasms that kept him out of Thursday's game in Chicago, and the 28-year-old reported to be feeling much better than the day prior.

"I woke up early and I went to a chiropractor that J.J. [Hardy] recommended," Reimold said. "He did work on it and I came here and the trainers did work on it and now it's loose enough where I can play."

Hardy said he was dealing with similar neck spasms on the team's West Coast trip last May and his agent recommended a chiropractor that helped him get over the issue and not miss any playing time. Hardy said his spasm prevented him from looking up, while Reimold -- who dealt with neck spasms last season, as well -- is bothered mostly when he tries to look down.

"After the game [on Wednesday] I couldn't really move. Woke up with it, couldn't even look down, couldn't really move my head around," said Reimold, who did some early tee work to pass the test for Friday. "But it's just a muscle spasm. I'm going to do treatment and stuff, I'm sure I'll do it [Friday] after the game, it'll probably lock back up again. But, just have to do treatment until it stops doing that."

Reimold's neck spasms didn't slow him down Friday night, as he went 3-for-5 with a double and two-run homer. The Orioles' hottest hitter, Reimold has homered in five of the last six games he's played in and recorded his fifth multihit game this season.

Struggling Hunter dealing with left side issue

ANAHEIM -- Orioles starter Tommy Hunter is still dealing with lingering discomfort in his left side -- a carryover from a back strain he had this spring -- although he said Friday that he doesn't feel anything hurting when on the mound.

"I usually have quite a bit of adrenaline going," he said. "I'm a big adrenaline guy. I don't feel much of anything unless it's significant, like a tear or something."

Hunter, who is still getting regular treatment on the area, has struggled in his last two starts to locate his fastball, with everything being up in the zone, resulting in six home runs over 11 2/3 innings. Asked if his side/back issue could be the reason he's struggling to get over the top of the ball, Hunter said: "Really hope it doesn't. Definitely have some things lingering around, but that's just an excuse, that's really all it is. You still got to be able to throw the ball down in the zone; you still have to give your team a chance to win.

"Yeah, it doesn't feel good. But you got to throw. I don't know how else to say that. I mean, everybody's got aches and pains here, and that's life. That's baseball. You got to find a way to win."

Hunter said the issue is only on his left side and he admitted it was frustrating to deal with given the work he put into this offseason to get in better shape, as the right-hander lost about 25 pounds. He threw a bullpen session on Friday afternoon and said he didn't "feel it one time" in his left side, an encouraging sign given Hunter was throwing full-throttle. Hunter's next start is Tuesday and he's eager to put his last two outings behind him.

"I'm a little upset, I definitely want to do better than what I've been doing," said Hunter, who is 1-1 with a 5.79 ERA. "I know I'm better than that. Got to get better, got to win baseball games."

Kidney stone sends hitting coach Presley home

ANAHEIM -- Orioles hitting coach Jim Presley is not with the team after kidney stone issues crept up prior to Thursday's series finale in Chicago.

Presley, who spent Thursday night in a hospital in Chicago, flew back to Baltimore on Friday and will rejoin the team next week after it returns home. Orioles manager Buck Showalter said the Orioles won't have an interim hitting coach, but will have a few guys help out with the duties. Coaches DeMarlo Hale and John Russell both threw some batting practice on Friday.

"He's in a lot of pain," Showalter said. "He hasn't passed it so he's going to try to go figure out the three options that you have."


• Showalter said the Orioles' rotation following Monday's off-day will be Hunter and Jason Hammel, with the rest of the order undecided. The team has given Wei-Yin Chen extra rest at every chance possible, so he could be pushed back again.

• The Orioles released Minor League catcher Jon Hester, Triple-A Norfolk announced Friday.

• With three errors on Friday, the Orioles now have 16 and are tied with the San Francisco Giants for the most in the Majors.